- Customer Service
- Contact Us
- Live Chat
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Our Policies
- Returns & Exchanges
- Pricing Policy
- Nordstrom Bank Privacy Notice
- Nordstrom Rack Policy
- Terms & Conditions
- Fraudulent E-mail
- Fraud Alert
- Social Media Employee Guidelines
- Guidelines for Endorsers
- Terms & Conditions for Sharing Content
- Registration Benefits
- Our Catalogs
- Site Map
- Gift Orders
- Our Stores
- Nordstrom Rewards™
- Buy Online, Pick Up in Store
- Nordstrom Stylists
- Product Recall
- Diversity at Nordstrom
(Effective Date: April 14, 2003)
(Revised Effective Date: September 20, 2013)
Protecting customer information is a priority for Nordstrom. We understand that your trust is our most important asset. The Nordstrom In-Store Prosthesis Program is committed to the protection and proper use of your protected health information.
THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES HOW PROTECTED HEALTH INFORMATION ABOUT YOU MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED AND HOW YOU CAN GET ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION. PLEASE REVIEW IT CAREFULLY.
The Nordstrom In-Store Prosthesis Department ('we,' 'our' or 'us') has established a policy to guard against any unnecessary disclosure of your protected health information that is created and used in conjunction with your prosthesis-related purchase at a Nordstrom brick and mortar store. In this statement, we refer to this personal health information as Protected Health Information ('PHI').
PHI means information that is created or received by us that relates to: (1) your past, present, or future physical health or condition; (2) the provision of health care to you; or (3) the past, present, or future payment for the provision of health care to you; and such information identifies you or could be used to identify the you.
These safeguards are intended to comply with federal privacy regulations under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act ('HIPAA').
Please note this policy only applies to In-store sales of prosthetic devices. Our online Prosthesis Program is not subject to HIPAA because we cannot assist you with a fitting of your prosthetic garment or assist you with the billing of your insurance. Employees who work in the online Prosthesis Program call center are not permitted to assist with fitting or billing and insurance matters.
- • Your Rights
- • Uses and Disclosures
- • Our Responsibilities
- • Contact Information
- • Additional Information
You have the right to know how we use and disclose your PHI. You also have the right to:
- • Inspect and copy your PHI. Also, if we maintain your PHI in an electronic format, you may receive a copy electronically or ask us to send the record electronically to a third party. The term 'electronic health record' means an electronic record of health-related information about you that is created, gathered, managed, and consulted by authorized health care clinicians and staff.
- • Request to amend your PHI if it was created by us.
- • Receive an accounting of certain PHI disclosures during the 6-year period preceding your request.
- • Request that you receive confidential communications from us (for example, only to your office or to your home).
- • Request additional restrictions on how we use or disclose your PHI; however, in most cases, we are not required to agree with any requested restrictions.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, you must submit your request in writing to: Nordstrom Corporate Prosthesis Manager, 1617 6th Ave, 5th Floor, Seattle, WA 98101. If your request is denied, you generally have the right to appeal the denial. You will receive more information about your appeal rights if you make a request and it is denied.
Uses and Disclosures
We may use or disclose your PHI without your permission in the following situations:
Treatment - We may use or disclose your PHI to provide you prosthesis-related services In-Store. For example, we may contact your doctor for additional information about your medical condition.
Payment - We may use or disclose your PHI to obtain payment for services we have provided. For example, we may contact your insurance carrier to verify eligibility.
Health Care Operations - We may use or disclose your PHI, as necessary, to perform administrative activities that are necessary to manage our In-Store Prosthesis Program. For example, we may use PHI to identify individuals who are entitled to receive this policy and to arrange for and conduct internal audits, including fraud and abuse detection programs.
As Permitted by Law - We may use or disclose your PHI as permitted by law. For example, we may disclose PHI in the following situations:
- • As authorized by and to the extent necessary to comply with laws relating to worker's compensation or similar programs that provide benefits for work-related injuries or illnesses.
- • To prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to your health and safety or to the health and safety of the public.
- • In response to an administrative or court order or a request for information in a lawsuit involving you.
- • To public health agencies, for example, for the licensure of health care providers.
- • To authorized military personnel if you are a member of the armed forces.
In Our Communications with You - We may use or disclose your PHI to communicate our health-related products or services to you. For example, we may send you periodic information about our new prosthesis-related products or services that we believe may benefit you. We will not use PHI to communicate with you regarding other Nordstrom products and services. In California, state law requires that if we request medical information from you that will be used for any direct marketing purpose, we must inform you and obtain your consent.
Certain Other Situations - We may use or disclose your PHI if you are present and agree to the disclosure, if we give you the opportunity to object to the disclosure and you do not, or if it is an emergency. For example, we may discuss your PHI with you while a family member is present if you agree.
As Authorized by You - We may use or disclose your PHI to other persons upon your written authorization. For example, we may speak with a family member if we have your permission. Please note that your authorization will remain effective until you revoke it in writing. Also, Nordstrom cannot take back any disclosures of PHI we have already made with your authorization, and we are required by law to retain certain medical records. The following uses or disclosures may be made only with your authorization:
- • Use or disclosure of PHI for marketing purposes
- • Sale of PHI
We are required to notify you if there is any breach of unsecured PHI.
We are required by law to maintain the privacy of your PHI and to provide you with a notice of our legal duties and privacy practices with respect to PHI. In addition, we are required to abide by the terms of the policy currently in effect. For more information about your Privacy at Nordstrom, please click here.
Please direct any comments, questions or complaints regarding the privacy of your PHI to:
Nordstrom Corporate Prosthesis Manager
1617 6th Ave, 5th Floor
Seattle, WA 98101
If you believe your privacy rights concerning your PHI have been violated, you may also make a formal complaint directly to the Secretary of Health and Human Services at:
Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
33 N. Michigan Ave. Suite 240
Chicago, IL 60601
You will not be retaliated against for filing a complaint.