Red Wing 'Classic Moc' Boot
These shoes went on sale and I bought two pair, having previously owned a pair of red wings that I retired after 8 years of service.
This is my one-month+ review. Been wearing them to work for about 5 weeks now.
1. They're big. Really big. As most people have said, if you wear a 10D, buy a 9-9.5D. I bought the 9D after trying our the 9.5D for a bit, which was too large and my foot slipped around.
2. They're built out of tough stuff, which is good in the durability department. However, they also chafe pretty well in spots, like on the back of your leg at the lip of the shoe, where the leather doesn't want to bend. This gets better with use, but doesn't entirely go away. Might depend on the wearer though.
3. They're more comfortable with some good merino wool work/hiking socks.
4. After a month of wear, I just took a two hour trek through the local nature park. These shoes are plenty broken in by now. The leather insoles are perfectly dark. But my feet hurt, and I feel like I need a good foot massage now. My old red wings fit like a glove and felt good all day. These work okay in a machine shop environment where I work, but on a trail with uneven terrain they just plain hurt my feet. Was hoping to be able to hike in these, but I don't think I want to...
5. My heels slip quite a bit. Not on flat ground which is fine, but walking up hills or up stairs, I can feel my heel slipping up the back of the shoe, which shouldn't happen in my opinion, and isn't doing my socks any favors either.
Durability: 5/5 - They're tough and look like they'll last a while. Soles wear out fast, but can be redone with vibrams at a repair shop.
Comfort: 3/5 - Not what I was hoping for, but not horrible either. They feel kind of clunky on my feet, not exactly that "fit like a glove" feeling.
Looks: 4/5 - A bit scuffed over time and the white soles get dirty fast
One thing about them: I've tried on 4 pairs of red wings in the last 2 months. Every single one had different "variances" in the same design, meaning that they're not very consistently built. Trying on two pairs of the same shoe, one might be more comfortable than the other. Some of the 8.5Ds I tried out were wider than the 9.5Ds.
Also note that I'm wearing these with the built-in leather insoles only. They may well be, and probably are, more comfortable with some inserts on top of that, but you'd need to buy a larger size to use them than you would without.
Now, having purchased two pairs and only wearing one, I'm debating on taking the other pair back, since they're just not as comfortable on me as everyone makes them sound. Even with good wool socks. Hopefully the ones I've been wearing will continue to get more comfortable over the months...
My Husband favorite
My husband fall in love with Red Wing shoes, he got the classic moc boot in black, this boots it's so, so comfortable, perfect, he got it in brown also, thank you Red Wing