Men's Suit & Sport Coat Fit Guide
There are two essential components when it comes to buying a suit: fit and size. Fit is the overall shape of that particular suit. Size is the number inside your jacket.
Slim through the shoulders. Narrow sleeves. Extra-slim trousers.
Narrower through the chest. Higher armholes. Fitted trousers.
Wider through the chest and shoulders. Fuller trousers.
Suit and sport coat sizes have one number and one descriptive word (for example, 38 short, 40 regular, 42 long). The number refers to your chest measurement, and the descriptive word refers to the length of the jacket.
Check your own measurements and look for additional size information on the product page to determine which size you should purchase.
All Nordstrom stores offer alteration services, and basic alterations are free for many full-priced items purchased at Nordstrom (online or in stores). (Try our made-to-measure program for a custom fit.) Find a store near you.
To get a full breakdown on suits, check out our infographic.
With arms at your sides, have someone measure around the broadest part of your shoulders and upper arms.
With arms at your sides, measure around your upper body, under your armpits and over the fullest part of your chest and shoulder blades.
Bend to one side to find the natural crease of your waist. Measure at this point, keeping the tape comfortably loose around your waist.
• Tall suits are classified as Long and X-Long (6'2 1/2" and up).
• Big suits are classified as 48 U.S. chest size and up.
• If your over-arm measurement is more than 7" larger than your chest measurement, choose a suit one size larger than your chest.
• Suits have what is called a "drop," which is the difference between the size of the jacket and the size of the pants. Classic-fit suits typically have a 6" drop, meaning that a size 38R jacket is paired with size 32 pants. Slim-fit and extra-slim-fit suits typically have a 6" to 7" drop.
• Suit makers usually leave enough extra fabric at the seams to allow pants to be let out by 1" to 2". Pants can always be taken in.