Organic & Sustainable
We're committed to offering sustainably produced foods and beverages in our restaurants and coffee bars. Our produce is local and organic whenever possible. This supports local farmers, minimizes greenhouse-gas emissions during transport from farm to table and provides our customers with the freshest choices.
- All of our eggs are cage-free. We source 100% cage-free shell eggs and 100% cage-free liquid eggs (all egg whites). For ingredient eggs, we ask all of our suppliers to adhere to our 100% cage-free egg policy.
- We source only wild-caught salmon from Bristol Bay, Alaska. Wild salmon, as opposed to farmed, offers higher nutritional value and helps maintain natural wild fish stocks.
- When possible, we source from suppliers who use the most humane processing methods commercially available. All the turkey we use comes from suppliers that use CAK processing.
- All of our coffee is ethically sourced, which means it comes from farms that are protecting the environment and supporting sustainable production. We offer six types of ethically sourced coffee:
- Direct Trade: Sustainably grown coffee that is verified and measured using third-party data and sourced through direct, long-term relationships with coffee growers.
- Organic: Coffee that meets the USDA certification as Organic and is grown using only natural methods that promote long-term sustainability of the ecosystem.
- Fair Trade Certified™: Coffee that is sourced in compliance with rigorous social and environmental practices and local labor laws.
- Rainforest Alliance Certified™: Coffee that is sustainably grown to benefit farm families, wildlife, and the environment.
- Traceable Micro-Lots: Traceable coffee that is produced in small batches, selected specifically for its special characteristics and sourced from a single coffee grower or individual plot of land.
- Women Grown: Coffee sourced directly from female coffee growers, female members of coffee cooperatives and communities that promote gender equity.
- We also offer organic iced tea
We also work hard to provide customers with choices that are delicious and nutritious. We use foods without unhealthy additives.
- We do not use liquid dairy products produced with bovine growth hormone (rBGH).*
- We do not use hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated fats and oils—the root source of unhealthy trans fats.
- We support the federal government's standards for food-content reporting, but whenever possible we share even more information with our customers about the foods we offer whenever possible.
- Pamphlets with nutritional information and calorie counts for all our menu items are available in every restaurant and specialty coffee bar in our company.
*Except in Hawaii.
The packaging we use and the way we manage waste from our restaurants and coffee bars are both sustainable too.
- All menus and printed materials in our restaurants and coffee bars contain a minimum of 30% post-consumer waste.
- We use an environmentally friendly disposable cup called the ecotainer®.
- Compostable straws are available at our restaurants, cafés and Ebar.
- Where local composting facilities exist, organic recycling programs in our restaurants convert waste to compost.
Through our Partnership Guidelines, we ask our vendor and supplier partners to strictly adhere to codes or practices that meet or exceed international, national and state government standards for animal welfare in food service.